Bessie

Hopeless (Hopeless, #1)
Colleen Hoover
The Catcher in the Rye

The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green I cried. No big surprise there, so lets just get that one out of the way. I did not however cry a lot. Not as much as I might have expected. But that's a good thing. There was more here than a well constructed tickling of the lachrymal ducts.This book was probably one of the most hyped books of 2012. And luckily it lives up to all of the hype - at least for me it does.There were several things i liked about this story. The things I liked most didn't have to do with cancer. Well, now, that's just not true. We all know that. Because just about everything in this book has to do with cancer. BUT somehow the whole teenager-dying-of-cancer-scenario was portrayed so differently. (I'm saying this without having read too many cancer books). Just as An Imperial Affliction is - according to Hazel - an honest cancer book, The Fault in Our Stars most certainly feels honest. I guess that is what i liked most about the book.What i loved about the book is the personalities of the main characters. Both Hazel and Augustus are so funny and clever and intellectual and fast thinking and ... somehow understated about being all of those things and more. I just fell completely in love with them. I wanted to be them (Silly, you know what I mean, not the cancer, no!). I wanted to know them. And then I didn't because I would just feel completely inferior being in the same room as them. And then I still wanted to because Augustus was so nice that it wouldn't have mattered, that I wasn't as cool. OK, enough rambling. I loved those characters. And then there was the infuriatingly inhumane (but somehow ridiculously human) Peter Van Houten. Great character. And Isaac - works well as well.John Green, I just gained even more respect for you. I get where everybody is coming from.OK, other things i liked about the book. I was very happy about the fact that the love between Hazel and Gus was true. It didn't seem forced. I wasn't even necessary to have Gus' dad? tell us it was real for us (the reader) to know. But then how could it not be real, both of them being so awesome. I guess when your forced to contemplate your near impending death it will mature you beyond your years. I liked the way their story was told.I liked the way the sickness was portrayed. I liked Gus' frustration. His comment about it being part of himself; the tumors being made of him and it being in a civil war with a predetermined winner.I liked Gus, who so badly wants to become something, do something, to leave a mark for the world to see, opposite Hazel, who is resigned to the fact that we play such a tiny role in the bigger picture - e.i. the universe; Meaning very much to a select few who knew you very well would be better than being remembered by many who never truly knew you.I could probably go on. There are a number of great observations scattered throughout this story. But no more now. Enough with the rambling and raving about this book for now.I'm going to read it again. I think. Some time.