Bessie

Hopeless (Hopeless, #1)
Colleen Hoover
The Catcher in the Rye

Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher Okay, so at some point in the book, maybe not until cassette 6, side B (which is the second to last story/reason of the 13), I got over my initial irritation with Hannah, the girl who committed suicide. Or not over it per se but I think I was waiting on her to admit some responsibility in the situation, and that was where I recognized that a little. SHE killed herself, SHE made the choice and went through with it - THEY didn't. It could be a matter of personal values. This book and me was not a great fit, because I couldn't look past the 'placing blame-element' of the story. It was over shadowing. I didn't sympathize with the character, Hannah. Not once. I might have if she hadn't been so busy telling the intended listeners of the tapes, that if they chose not to listen, there would be unforeseeable consequences. There is one point though where Hannah makes a comment about something, that had been sitting in the back of my head. Actually it's something I have thought about several times before regarding suicide but also just attitude towards life in a more general sense. She says: "[...] maybe some people are just preconditioned to think about it more than others. Because every time something bad happened, I thought about it." Right there we're getting to the core of something. A reason why I don't find the story relatable. She sits down and draws a map of everything every person has every done to her in her life, so to make connections between every chain of event. A map that, I think, she subconsciously has been slowly drawing pretty much her entire life. It takes a certain type of person who will do that, doesn't it? And to then act on it. I'm not sure. I would like to think so. This doesn't take away from the fact that I feel Hannah is trying to implement a improper sense of blame on the listeners of the tapes. An unnecessary sense of blame. Or can somebody help me understand properly; What was the point in sending the tapes around and making these people listen?? It seemed cruel more than anything.As I didn't like Hannah for doing what she did, one might think that I did like Clay for being angry with her. But he just wasn't that angry, was he? Not as angry as he was hurt, and sorry, and blaming himself. Which could very well be authentic to a story like this. I just had trouble relating. The 'love story' between the two of them didn't outweigh the selfishness of Hannah.On top of all this maybe the message of the book was a bit too literal for me. That could be part of my aversion towards this book; Every little thing you do to another person has the potential to affect them in ways you cannot begin to comprehend. Because you simply don't know everything about their life or their thoughts. This is true, I guess.And if a person show signs (of suicide?) you should help them - save them. Again, it's a very nice thought indeed, but I don't know how that fits into real life. Maybe we should all try to remind ourself of this more often. I do not however feel the need to be slapped across the face with this message. A bit dramatic, I realize that. But I think this book left me more irritated than what might have been the intention of it. I just felt that the message of it was shoved down my throat a bit. And I do not appreciate that.On the positive side the book got a reaction out of me. That's something right there in itself.Okay, so to summarize: If I read a story about a person who's committed suicide, I would like to sympathize with that character on one level or another. That did not happen here and for that reason this book did not work for me.